Mentors have been there, done that. Their experience can take years off your learning curve. They can teach. Point out the pitfalls. Attach you to their own network. They encourage and support you when things are tough.
A mentor will not only point you in the right direction; they can help you see the light at the end of the tunnel or open up vistas of possibility you never imagined.
They say that when the student is ready, the mentor will appear. I say, go get a mentor. In fact, get more than one. Seek one out.
Look for a mentor who has something in common with you. When you do find a mentor, you have to do your part. A mentor will help, guide, encourage. You must do two things:
- Do the work. A mentor’s reward is seeing you succeed. Don’t make yours feel that his or her time and energy have been wasted on you.
- Shut up and listen. Take notes. Accept your mentor’s criticism and suggestions and try to use them, even if you don’t always agree (and you won’t always agree). A mentor is not God, but just someone who’s already gotten where you want to go.
As long as you keep your ears, eyes – and mind – open, as long as you’re willing and able to learn from mistakes – yours and others’ – you’re using the mentorship concept to your adventage. There really is no downside.
List three people who have what you want to have, who are doing what you want to do. Write a brief description of each. Then ask yourself, when faced with a tough challenge, what would …. do? Make them an imaginary advisory board. Or put the great thinkers on your wall and ask them? ‘If you faced this same challenge, what would you have done’?
What Can I Expect?
Here’s an outline of The Hero’s Journey in Paris: Create Your Own Legend.
Create Your Own Legend Outline
- What’s Right About Being Right-Brained?
- You Are the Storyteller of Your Own Life
- What is Your Quest?
- It’s Not Just a Job, It is a Hero’s Journey
- Selling Your Story
- Self Made
- Your Travel Companions
- Be Your Own Boss
- Right Brainers in Business
- The Lean Years
- Business Plans
- Help! I Need Somebody
- The Cheering Section
- Networking is a Two Way Street
- Mentors: Been There, Done That
- Role Models
- Tell Your Story
- The Seven (Bad) Stories of Highly Ineffective Heroes
- The Power of Your Story
About Peter de Kuster
Peter de Kuster is the founder of The Heroine’s Journey & Hero’s Journey project, a storytelling firm which helps creative professionals to create careers and lives based on whatever story is most integral to their lives and careers (values, traits, skills and experiences). Peter’s approach combines in-depth storytelling and marketing expertise, and for over 20 years clients have found it effective with a wide range of creative business issues.
Peter is writer of the series The Heroine’s Journey and Hero’s Journey books, he has an MBA in Marketing, MBA in Financial Economics and graduated at university in Sociology and Communication Sciences
IS THE HERO’S JOURNEY FOR YOU?
- You are a creative professional who is interested in developing yourself and your creative business.
- You are aware that there are no quick fixes. Learning is a journey that works when you are fully committed to it. A guide like Peter de Kuster can bring awareness and help you navigate, but in the end it’s you who is in charge of your growth.
- You want to learn more about how to tell yourself a more powerful story, learn about blind spots, and get feedback.
- You are curious and want to engage in an interactive learning journey with Peter de Kuster.
- You are motivated to work in-between journeys on yourself (e.g. working on questions that will help you develop new storytelling, mindsets, skills, and behaviors).
WHAT’S YOUR QUEST-ION?
The Hero’s Journey is all about your development. To make the most out of your journey with Peter, we ask you to prepare topics to work on with him. These topics can serve as a starting point for further in-depth exploration.
One Hour Virtual Coaching for Euro 150 (excluding VAT)
One Day Journey for EUR 1,200 (excl. VAT)
Two Day Journey for EUR 2,150 (excl. VAT)
Three Day Journey for EUR 2,950 (excl. VAT)
BOOK THE HERO’S JOURNEY
Who can sign up for The Hero’s Journey?
Creative professionals who wish to improve their storytelling, mindset(s) and develop their leadership skills.
What language do we speak in the journey?
Can I bring my own topics?
Yes, you get to choose your own topic.
Are journeys confidential?
Yes. Peter will not share anything that is discussed in the journey.
Where will the journeys take place?
Sessions will take place travelling with Peter a world city like Paris, Rome, Florence, Barcelona, Amsterdam, London, Antwerp, Venice, New York, Berlin, Madrid.
How do I sign up?
Send Peter an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I pay?
After you booked The Hero’s Journey by sending an email to Peter you will receive an email with info how to pay.
How do I book and reschedule a journey?
Once we’ve received your payment, our Program Coordinator will book your journey. She will also support you with rescheduling journeys if needed.
What is your cancellation policy?
Individual journeys can be postponed up to one week before the journey.