All you need to do is look around to see that times are changing. The vision of a retirement spent sipping martinis and playing golf can be more of a dead end than a dream. For many of us, retirement may span 30 years or longer and will not be viewed as an isolated economic event but rather a part of ongoing life planning.
The New Retirement Story is the ability to achieve the freedom to pursue your own goals, at your own pace, on your own terms … regardless of your age. Passion Never Retires -The New Retirement Story will help you paint a detailed portrait of your own perfect future and show you how to achieve it.
One seminar I asked a group of business people: “What do you want to be when you grow up?”The emotional uncoiling that took place in the conversation that followed convinced me of a fact of modern life I was growing increasingly aware of: Far too many people are unhappy with the work they do.
Their responses revealed to me that many people deep down feel they have compromised, to varying degrees, who they are for what they can get. Even some of those who had the things they wanted often felt they were lacking in terms of fulfillment.
Have we become a lost generation that is huffing and puffing down a fast track to nowhere? Do we look only to the money sign for direction and have we lost recognition of all other standards for living? These questions led me ponder both what work and retirement have become in our society.
The Hero’s Journey in London: Passion Never Retires – The New Retirement Story
You need a quest to wake up in the morning and enough money to sleep at night.
More than 10 years ago, Peter started rewriting traditional stories stories of retirement with his groundbreaking Passion Never Retires – the new retirement story. He changed the story about retirement from one focused solely on money on a certain date to one focused on creating a life and work you love and never want to retire from.
Retirement at age 65 is an artificial finish line that no longer fits our time.
Peter de Kuster will show travelers how ‘Return on Happiness ROH (getting the best life possible with the money you have) is replacing ROI as the core consideration when planning for the future.
This hero’s journey will discuss the confluence of four modern trends that herald the end of retirement thinking as we know it:
- The evolving pursuit of fulfillment in our times.
- The end of the paternalistic employer.
- The advent of dismantling ageism.
- Distribution-driven Armageddon for financial services.
Growing old with lots of money is no longer the goal. Dying rich can’t compete with living rich, and making a living doesn’t measure up to making a life. When the idea of retirement was born, people traded physical capital for a paycheck—and it was a practical necessity for people to retire. As a knowledge-based economy, intellectual capital, experiential capital, and relational capital are traded for a paycheck, leaving only one question to answer regarding the appropriate time to retire: What is the expiration date on my intellectual capital and on my experience? What those people still working in their 70s and even 80s will tell you is that they would be dead if they had not continued to engage their intellectual faculties.
Peter will talk about the characteristics of creating a life and work you love and never want to retire from:
- Passion: If you don’t use your body or your brain, you lose them.
- Purpose: Money can fund purpose, but it cannot create purpose.
- Portfolio: There needs to be a balance between vacation and vocation.
- Power: Physical, intellectual, and spiritual challenges are the hallmarks of those who continue to thrive as they age.
Peter has been challenging and inspiring people around the world for close to 15 years with his unique insights into creating a passionate life and work. Participants will walk away from this exciting experience with a new story (and vision) of what “The New Retirement Story” is and means for them.
Peter will help participants find answers to the following questions:
- How will you spend your time? You have 168 hours a week; how will you make those hours meaningful?
- How will you invest yourself? How will you parlay what you know, what you’ve experienced, and who you are into the next phase of your life?
The price of this three day Hero’s Journey is Euro 2.850 excluding VAT per person. There are special prices when you want to attend with two or more people.
You can reach Peter for questions about dates and the program by mailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org
09.40 Tea & Coffee on arrival
10.00 Morning Session
13.00 Lunch Break
14.00 Afternoon Session
Read on for a detailed breakdown of the “Passion Never Retires – The New Retirement Story” itinerary.
What Can I Expect?
Here’s an outline of the “Passion Never Retires – The New Retirement Story”
PART I OLD RETIREMENT MYTHS
- Times are Changing
- Old Messages, New Realities
- Illusions, Desillusions & Hype
- The Artificial Finish Line
- Retiring Old Stories about Retirement
- The Fatal Flaw
- Not My Parent’s Retirement
- 65 is old
- Retirement is Only about Money
- To Retire = Not Working
- A Life of Ease is the Ultimate Retirement Goal
- Remove Artificial Finish Lines
PART II PASSION NEVER RETIRES
- Re-inventing Retirement – New Pathways
- Passion Never Retires Works
- The Real Meaning of Work
- Brain at Work
- Testdrive Your Dreamjob
- Invest in Who You Are
- Collecting a Play Check
- Bridging the Gap between Means and Meaning
- The Seven Intangibles
- Return on Life
- Your Portfolio Life
- The Money/Life Puzzle
- Collecting Income for Life
- Maslow meets Money (Safety Money, Freedom Money, Money to Give, Dream Money)
- The Financial Freedom to Have a Creative Life
PART III. YOUR NEW STORY
- The Premise of your Story. The Purpose of your Life and Art
- The words on your tombstone
- Your ultimate mission, out loud
- Your Story about Working Longer
- Your Story about Living Longer
- The Seven Great Plots
- The Twelve Archetypal Heroines
- The One Great Story
- Purpose is Never Forgettable
- Questioning the Premise
- Lining up
- Flawed Alignment, Tragic Ending
- The Three Rules in Storytelling
- Write Your New Story
- Turning your story into action
- The Story Effect
- Story Ritualizing
- The Storyteller and the art of story
- The Power of Your Story
PART IV LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER
- Staying in the Zone
- Trust the Force
- The Power of Flow
- From Success to Purpose
- Meaningful Pursuits
- Your Next 100.000 Miles
- From Aging to S- Aging
About Peter de Kuster
Peter de Kuster is the founder of The Heroine’s Journey & Hero’s Journey project, a storyteller which helps professionals to create careers and lives based on whatever story is most integral to their lives and careers (values, traits, skills and experiences). Peter’s approach combines in-depth storytelling and marketing expertise, and for over 20 years clients have found it effective with a wide range of creative business issues.
Peter is writer of the series The Heroine’s Journey and Hero’s Journey books, he has an MBA in Marketing, MBA in Financial Economics and graduated at university in Sociology and Communication Sciences.
To book your place in the “The New Retirement Story” mail peter at email@example.com