Professional coaches specialize in helping people define and achieve their goals. If you’re considering a major career change, that kind of support can be very helpful. However, coaching is a relatively new career and certification is not yet required, as a result, people with varied backgrounds are free to call themselves coach. I have worked with excellent coaches, however, i met also coaches who would have been better in another line of work. So if you choose to work with a coach, be as diligent in researching, interviewing and confirming credentials as you would be with a mentor.
Before you hire a coach, consider the following:
- Select a coach who focuses on career coaching rather than life coaching. A good career coach will consider lifestyle; a life coach, however, may not focus on your career.
- Talk to references. Ask them if they actually made the changes they hoped to make. You want to hire a coach who gets the job done, not one who is simply likable.
- Hire someone who has been in business full-time for at least five years. Since anyone can call himself a coach, you want someone who has verifiable experience.
- Interview several potential coaches so you have a base of comparison. You want someone who is passionate about coaching, has concretely helped people in situations similar to yours, and with whom you feel an emotional rapport.
- Consider a coach who is certified by a reputable coaching organization, but do not disqualify someone who isn’t. A coach with decades of pragmatic career coaching experience may not have chosen to get certified. More important than certification is meeting the criteria above.
Your Travel Guide
Story teller Peter de Kuster is the founder of The Heroine’s Journey en The Hero’s Journey and an accomplished speaker worldwide. His books and stories about the Hero’s Journey – making money doing what you love – have reached millions of creative professionals worldwide in the last decennium.
Read on for a detailed breakdown of The Hero’s Journey in Paris – Testdrive Your Dreamjob
What Can I Expect?
Here’s an outline of The Hero’s Journey in Paris – Testdrive Your Dreamjob.
- In the Footsteps of Midnight in Paris
- Just Do It
- The Search for Mentors
- Questions to Ask
- Telling Your Story
- Finding the Right Mentor
- A Mentor Of Your Own
- Doing the Testdrive
- Questions for the Mentor
- Choose a Cheer Leader
- Should You Hire a Coach?
- Listening with Your Heart
- Evaluating the Testdrive
- Not Your Dreamjob After All?